Monday, December 7, 2009

A bit late

My computer crashed the other week so I have been trying to get it up and running and finally succeeded. I watched Dead Man, the movie Dr. Sexson recommended to us and was very impressed. I have lived with a film student since sophomore year and his love for films started to rub off on me. Typically I cannot deal with the artsy side of film which you see in Dead Man but shooting it in black and white makes sense for the movie. It is about a city slicker who makes his way west (could very well be in Montana) for a job. He ends up not getting the job and witnesses a death which makes it look like it was him who murdered the businessman's son. Following the murder, William Blake (Johnny Depp) meets an Indian named, Nobody (Gary Farmer) who teaches Blake how to live the western lifestyle. Nobody could be a spirit since it is a possibility Blake is dead throughout the entire movie and is just a "play" on characters and is himself a character going around taking revenge. Blake then goes on a killing spree showing us how different parts of the country are. The United States is one of a few places where a person is able to encounter numerous cultures within a span of traveling a few hours.
I also watched Up since my last post and was extremely disappointed with it. After all the highly esteemed comments I heard I was really expecting something special but other than the plot it was not nearly as good as I thought it could have been. This may be because it was intended for children they did not go in to as much depth on the story as I would have enjoyed, making the movie barely over an hour and half.
More to come on Up after I finish my presentation/paper tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment