Sunday, November 8, 2009

Re:Birth

"And when Jesus had been baptized, just as he came up from the water, suddenly the heavens were opened to him and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, 'This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased.'"
As I read this all I could remember was the discussion we had in class this past week. Rio remembering he got dunked under a river and others who were pleasantly dumped into an actual dunking booth (I wonder if there is a difference from the ones a clown gets dunked in at the fair and the ones which are religiously based). Back to my point though, this is exactly how a baptism should be. One of the most beautiful moments of our life as the heavens are opened to our previously blind eyes almost as if we were a puppy in its first days of life. As the heavens open so does our life to a religious following. As the light converges on Jesus the voice bellows, "This is my Son, the Beloved, with whom I am well pleased." I wish I could remember my baptism or anything from my young childhood for that fact which brings me to the question, why aren't Christians baptized at a later time in life? This way we could actually remember the significance of this important event. As Reborn Christians experience this magical moment they could also hear God say to them, "I am proud of you for what you have done." I feel these critical moments in Jesus life are what directly influenced him to living a life of such prominence among such a rebellious age. It is this sort of thing which people today need to believe in a God which continues to be shunned away by science. The personal connections can help a person see beyond the physical and into the mystical.

No comments:

Post a Comment